Monday, January 31, 2011

On Interviews, Question 1

Most of my nanny positions began with friends. People I knew in real life BEFORE I became their nanny. In these situations the interview appointment is often moot, but for the occasions that I have actually interviewed for a position, there are questions that seem to be the norm. I thought you might be interested in reading my answers and possibly what I think about the questions.

Question #1: How long have you been a nanny?
I began babysitting when I was 9 years old. I suppose you could say I was a bit of a "mother's helper." I would watch my cousin's 2 kids (toddler and infant) while she was cleaning, doing laundry, or just generally somewhere else in the house. That being said, I would not have considered myself a nanny until about 8 years ago. It was then that I acquired my CPR certification, child abuse clearances, and had my first background check. Also, I was older -in my twenties. In my opinion, there is a difference between a person who comes and "sits" (often while the children are sleeping) and a Nanny who is with them all day, cooks meals, teaches, and otherwise has a greater impact on a child's life. I believe a nanny has more of a parental role than a babysitter. Often (though not always) s/he has an education or child psychology background. There is a closeness and a bond that I'm not sure all babysitters develop. This isn't true of all babysitting positions, and I admit, I have done A LOT of babysitting in my time, but at it's core I think this is the difference and hence the turning point I underwent from babysitter to nanny. 


Obviously this is an important question to ask. Past experience is often what seals the deal in any job situation. However, I feel it is important that the distinction be made between what I do and what a high school babysitter might do. Thus, when I am asked, I make my beliefs perfectly clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment