Sunday, January 2, 2011

On books (and Vampires)


I'm a sucker for a book about vampires. (Get it? "Sucker." Har, har.) I just couldn't pass this up when I read the title. It combines two of my favorite genres, vampires and children's stories. In case you didn't know, I collect children's books, mostly in foreign languages. I own copies of fairy tales in Spanish and Italian, as well as editions of "The Little Prince" in all of the romance languages. I even have a great copy of "Un Pez, Dos Peces, Pez rojo, Pez Azul." 

Though I don't own the original "Dick and Jane" series (yet), being familiar with it, I enjoyed perusing this comical adaptation. Like it's counterpart, "Dick and Jane and Vampires" is easy to read with many repeated words and sentences. (Great for beginners!) 

I'll admit. It's a little creepy at first. The vampire, unintentionally I believe, scares the children. However, he is soon a normal fixture in the house, going so far as to be in Dick's way by hanging in the closet, sleeping upside-down, while the young man is trying to clean his room.

Not surprisingly, Father surreptitiously disappears half way through the book. (I'm not laying blame, but it seems kinda shady.) The vampire eventually becomes accepted. (Even receiving a bottle of blood from the milk man!) And with the children's help, he finds a girlfriend who is pale and sickly looking like him. (Poor Mother! I bet she thought she was going to live with him forever.) Though unconventional, the overall message of "Dick and Jane and Vampires" is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment