Wednesday, January 26, 2011

On Acrostic Poems

H and I were snuggling on the couch recently. He turned to me and said:

"I wish my name was Sam."

Being utterly confused I stuttered, "W-w-why?"

"So it would be shorter when you do those name poems. You know the ones where the first line is your name and the next line starts with the next letter of your name." He replied.

"Oh! An acrostic poem." I supplied, finally understanding his desire to go from a name with 8 letters to a much shorter, completely unrelated moniker.

"So yours would be...N-ora. O....ummm...what would we do for O?" He quieried.

"How about O-rnery?" I laughed.

"Ok, ornery." He said, fumbling slightly over the unfamiliar word.

"N-ora, O-rnery," He tried again.

"R....ummm...R-eally nice. A....Absolutely really nice!" He finished proudly.

I laughed, thanked him, and being my nanny-with-the-mostest self sought to make this a teaching moment.

"Do you know what ornery means?" I said, cocking an eye in his direction.

"No, what?"

"Grumpy."

He jumped up at that. "That's not true!" He shouted.

"We have to change that. Ummmm....O....Awesome!"

So obviously I should be working with him on spelling AND vocab, but I can't say it doesn't make me smile that he thinks I'm more Awesome than Ornery.

No comments:

Post a Comment