Wednesday, January 5, 2011

On Our Challah-day

I meant to get this out around Chanukah, but it just didn't happen. Now that both Jewish and Christian holidays are passed, I thought I'd share a little conversation I had with the boys during the festival of lights.

R: They DO have a menorah. 
n.n: Who does?
R: You norie. 
n.n: I do? Are you sure?
D: No, norie. You can share mine. But they're not for playing with. They're for the "hollow-day." We play with then on Chanukah and then we put them away. 
R: (begins to sing) Dreidle, dreidel, dreidle, I made you out of clay...

First off, I find it interesting that they are barely 3 and they realize our differing religious traditions. We don't stress it, but I am always eager to learn about their traditions, so it seems they picked up on that. I love that D offered to share his Menorah with me. He knows they are breakable though (all the kids have a ceramic one), so that is why we don't play with them.

Last year, the children learned the words Challah and Holiday as we were talking about Chanukah. Every time they saw the special bread (D especially) mistakenly called it "Hollow," a silly mix of the words Challah and Holiday.  Apparently Chanukah is no longer the festival of lights, but a day about bread. I suppose I wouldn't complain about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment