Monday, December 27, 2010

On Thumb Sucking

I previously mentioned my history with this digital obsession/oral fixation. I'd have to ask when I actually started, but I assume it was as a baby. I vaguely remember an attachment to a certain lightweight, white with blue, pink, and yellow stripes baby blanket. Later it was a big, soft, pink blanket, that I still have. I vaguely remember being a child and sneaking into my mother's bed at night. Dad was already (still?) at work and at the risk of waking my mother, I pulled this fluffy, pink, comfort off of the full length mirror it was covering in their room in order to keep warm. It was mine from then on. I have this blanket still. (Though it is missing a large chunk out of the center.) I suppose these days we would call it my "lovey."

For 13 years I sucked my thumb with it in my bed every night. For SHAME! My parents never really pushed the issue. We tried the standard methods of quitting at one time or another. There was: nail polish, band aids, hot sauce, gloves, etc, etc. We never really stuck with anything. Maybe because they knew I needed braces anyway. (My little mouth was too small to hold all my teeth so the incisors were pushed in front of the nearby ones.)

The only thing that finally worked was my actual commitment to quitting. I realized that I was old and it was inappropriate to suck my thumb any longer. It was that simple. I WANTED to stop. I don't much remember being teased or anything for it at slumber parties, but I did try to hide it because it felt..."wrong." One night I took it upon myself to keep my thumb away from my face as I slept. I twined my fingers together and tucked them tightly between my legs. Then...I tossed. And turned. I won't say that I got much sleep that night. But over the course of a few weeks I was able to break the habit. Thanks to thousands of dollars of orthodontia and years of painful braces, my smile leaves no hint of the years my thumb spent pushing my front teeth out of whack. (Thanks Mutti and Paw!)

That brings me to my current charges, R, D, and A. All thumb suckers. (I find it interesting that the boys suck the same thumb and A the opposite.) I have dealt with the removal of pacifier use from a child, but this will be my first experience achieving what I did for myself 19 years ago. I have had other charges with this 'affliction,' but no other parents have taken the jump to break the habit before now.

The triplet's Doctor has recommended we begin weaning them from the thumb. We can see the effect it is having on their teeth. The parents are on board and so is nanny.nora. We started months ago. I stopped allowing them to bring their lovies out of bed. The kids really like to cuddle them and suck when they are around. There was minimal fuss and I was able to divert them successfully until this became a habit.

Next, I stopped letting them suck at any time besides nap/bedtime. I accomplished this by reminding them EVERY time I saw them do it. Yes, I said: ", thumb out," "please don't suck," or "we only suck at nap time" a million times. In fact, I am still saying it now, as D continues to fight the urge. (He's a trickster. Often likes to "pretend" to be napping so he can suck. I've taken to encouraging "pretend" sucking. THAT didn't go over well.)

However, I digress. The third step in our "stop the sucking" brigade, started recently. We have been talking to the kids about how sucking will mess with their teeth. They get the concept, so I moved to putting socks on their hands at nap time. Today was the first try. (12/22/10) A and R had no trouble getting to sleep. However, D tossed and turned for a good hour. He didn't complain, but I could tell it was keeping him from sleeping. eventually I removed the socks and he fell to sleep peacefully, thumb in mouth.

Two out of three, 66%. Not bad, but we'll keep trying. I admit, I have a little soft spot for D. I know how hard it is to quit. However, the socks will go on every day, until he sleeps slackjawed and snoring, WITHOUT that pesky opposable digit suctioned between his lips.

4 comments:

  1. Miles and I want to know how the big "chunk" came out of your pink blanket ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. "my strange addiction" on TLC is about thumb suckers! WEIRD timing

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason it is hard to stop thumb sucking with all the negative tools like bitter polish is because thumb sucking is such a comforting thing to a child and they will not want to give it up when you put bitter polish (which has chemicals in it) or shameful thumb guards on. Try the positive approach…there is a fun thing for children called “Thumbuddy To Love” and it comes with a thumb puppet/story book with special tips on how to use it. Teaches kids in a fun and positive way to let go of something so comforting. Worked for my kids. Here is the info: You can get it at thumbuddytolove dot com.
    The sooner the better because prolonged thumb sucking can lead to buck teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment mamaski! I can't wait to look up the thumbuddy. We've been really positive with the kids and they're responding well. I Agree that shame is not the way to go. I'm pleased to announce that ALL 3 fell asleep without sucking at nap today :-)

    ReplyDelete