Thursday, December 16, 2010

On nanny.nora Fail

I make mistakes. Gasp! I know you're surprised I'm admitting this, but it's true. I try to always be 4 steps ahead of my charges. I attempt to for see all the possible outcomes of whatever choice we are making. I find this is the best way to prevent melt-downs and serious injuries. However, I will admit that this does lead me to be on the more strict side of controlling what the kids do. Maybe when they aren't my kids I can let go a bit more, but since I'd like to avoid lawsuits, I try to bring everyone home in one piece. ;-)

I was feeling adventurous the other day while picking the triplets up from preschool. There was a fresh blanket of snow on the ground. They were wearing their snow boots. They asked, nay BEGGED, me to let them stomp around in the snow for a bit before we went home. Normally I would have said no. It was late, they were hungry and tired, and nap time was fast approaching. However, one of their friends was already enjoying the whiteness, so I gave in, thinking we'd strip off any wet clothes as soon as we got home...should anyone take a tumble. Little did I know, it would be more complicated than that.

They were all bundled up, but sans gloves. It went well for about 3 min. Then R fell. He shook it off and continued stomping. Phew. I thought I'd dodged the bullet. Their friend took a tumble next and began to cry about how cold HIS glove-less hands were. Then all heck broke loose. Within 30 seconds I had all 3 babies crying and snowy-up-the-back as they all slipped and fell on their butts. I tried distraction. I tried making it funny and telling them to shake it off. No luck. The boys wanted me to pick them up. A was heading to the car alone. It was chaos. I slipped one of my gloves on each of the boys hands in the hopes that would appease them. They  cried cause I didn't stop to put their fingers in the holes. They cried harder cause they each only had one glove. A was content with my scarf wrapped around her neck, but getting the 3 of them to the car was insane! From then until nap time everyone was whiny and sensitive. I had to laugh. Try to do something nice and it always comes back to bite you in the tush.

Oh well. Next time, no gloves = no snow. And now you know. nanny.nora makes mistakes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment