Thursday, December 23, 2010

On nanny.nora Nightmares

Sometimes I dream of my charges. Like most of my dreams, they are frequently not pleasant. Though I am generally a confident person in real life, my insecurities often show up in my dreams. I feel I have had this dream before, but each time it is regarding a different one of the triplets.

D was off with a family member doing something, so I was watching only A and R. It was Spring, warm and really sunny. The 3 of us went outside to play in the yard. After a long while, I called them inside and somehow I left R out. A and I fell asleep for a short while. When we woke I realized that possibly, to my horror,  R was still outside. I exited the house, praying all the way. He could have been hurt or kidnapped. I saw him laying limp in the flowerbed. My heart was in my throat. I was convinced he was dead. As I got closer I was relieved to find that he was asleep. His cheeks were terribly red. Of course he had been laying directly in the sun. It was obvious he was sunburned, but I did not know how bad. I took him inside and cleaned him up. I tried to get them both to nap. When he woke, poor R had these black blistery pus-filled balls on his cheeks. SEVERE sunburn. My friend Kym somehow appeared (you know how that happens in dreams.)  She helped me treat the sores and told me what lotion to put on it. When i finished he just looked rosy cheeked, but with dry skin. I was fretting about telling his mother. Sadly I decided to lie and not mention to her about the black stuff and leaving him outside. I told her the half truth, that I had forgotten to apply sunscreen, but left out details. She did not question me, but I felt badly as R was cranky and crying. 


I often worry that I'll make a mistake. I have issues about being perfect. ;-) Thankfully though, it was just a dream and my insecurities stay locked in my psyche. I'm too honest for my own good. In real life I doubt I would ever be so careless and I certainly couldn't live with the lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment