Wednesday, February 2, 2011

On Other Blogs With Great Ideas: Episode 3, The Woombie

http://www.woombie.com/

I found the link to this site on the sidebar of another one of my favorite supermoms' blog. Being intrigued by the name (which somehow reminds me of that SNL short about the 'woomba') I clicked the link and proceeded to struggle with my feelings about the item. On one hand, this simple swaddler takes the difficulty out of achieving the perfect wrap to keep your baby snuggled cozily all the while avoiding the possibility of unwrapping.

I believe in swaddling. I agree that for some children it is comfortable and comforting. However, when I saw this product, I was given pause. I'm really not sure why. I think in essence it boils down to looks. For some reason it appears unnatural. Without the overlapping folds and the loving touch of manually swaddled child, the look is more straight jacket than cozy, womb-like sleeping bag.

That said, I am *not* against the woombie. Heck, I've never even tried one and I'm certainly not the type to dismiss something without thorough investigation. So in essence I'm sharing with you my conflicted feelings. I LOVE the idea. Easier swaddling for the flailing limbs of an over-tired infant sounds great to me, but there is something trounbling too that I can't put my finger on. I'll let you know my final verdict if I ever get to try it. Anyone else out there have thoughts to share on this? I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I agree. There's something just weird about the woombie. My kids have not liked being swaddled and that's fine with me!

    There are many other swaddling options, too, that aren't soooo... baby-straight-jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And... You earned me 43 cents by clicking on the ad! Woohoo. :-)

    ReplyDelete