Friday, February 25, 2011

On Privacy

I have none...

n.n: "Ok, guys play here for a min. Norie, has to go potty."

Thankfully the Cs have an area that is childproofed enough for me to leave them briefly. However, privacy is a rare commodity.

A: "Wait for me, Norie! I'll keep you company."

Honestly, I love my job, but one daily struggle is the fact that I am always "on." There is always someone who needs me, my help, my comfort. My needs often take a back seat to the little ones I choose to assume responsibility for. Even at nap time I am vigilant, listening for the smallest rustle and anticipating problems. A nanny's job is non-stop. There are no bathroom breaks. No uninterrupted 15 min respites from work. My lunch break is not my own. My time in general is dictated by the needs of others. In general, I'm ok with that. But somedays, I'd like to take a pee in peace.

1 comment: