Wednesday, November 24, 2010

On Giving Thanks - A Craft

My Current family, 3 boys and a girl or The Cs, have this wonderful tradition that occurs over dinner. They often go around the table and say what they are thankful for. Mind you, this is not done only during November or at Thanksgiving, but many a meal I have shared with The Cs has included this delightful conversation. The responses can be silly or serious, but everyone gets a turn and we smile and laugh and really enjoy each others company. With this thought in mind, R, D, and A helped me to complete this craft in order to decorate for Thanksgiving.

(I should have taken pictures of each step and made this post a tutorial, but it's a bit self explanitory.)

My prep work included collecting leaves and tracing the shapes onto colored construction paper. Then I cut those and the half moons out of white paper plates.

Next I asked each of the children what they were thankful for and wrote the items on their leaves. (This project might have been a bit above their skill level since I had to do most of the work, but they still had fun. They LOVED the gluing.)

Next I helped each of them attach the leaves with a glues stick. (Note: I had to go back and add a little Elmer's to really get them to stay.)

All in all a productive way to spend an hour.

2 comments:

  1. nothing better than homemade crafts...

    In my business I have a ton of ideas. if you are ever looking for stuff, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! One of my favorite crafts we did with Mom was take an old t-shirt, then decorate it with puff paint and stuff it with cotton (kids can help), then she sewed the arms, neck and bottom with yarn - instant pillow! We still have them!

    ReplyDelete