Monday, November 8, 2010

On Careers

I have been baby-sitting since I was 9. First it was my cousin-neighbors' 1 year old and infant. I'd play with the toddler and fuss over the sleeping infant in the bassinet as their mother took care of other housework. I was in charge. (Even though she was nearby should catastrophe strike.) It was like my baby-dolls had come to life. Though my degrees in life would lead me to another profession entirely (music), I have considered myself a professional nanny for about 7 years. (With Clearances and CPR certification to boot!) It's been about that long that I've been having conversations such as the following:

Over breakfast with the (then) 6 year old son of the family I currently work for.

"Is this a meteorite, Norie?" He asked nochalantly turning (what looked to be a piece of driveway asphalt) over in his small hand.

"I don't know buddy." I said, both unsure about the nature of the rock and not wanting to put him off too quickly.

"I think it's a metoerite." He concluded firmly.

Encouraging him jokingly, I responded: "It might be! I really don't know. I'm a musician not a scientist."

Without missing a beat, his seriously excited little eyes found my face and inquired, "Hey! If you're a magician, can you pull a rabbit out of your hat?

I laughed loudly and replied: I'm a MUSician not a MAGician!

2 comments: