Wednesday, November 10, 2010

On Asking Permission

Even nannies have to ask permission once in a while. Ok, actually ALL the time. I mean, we are practically living in someone else's home and making major decisions regarding the welfare of their children. Communication is obviously key to keeping not only the parents and children happy, but your nanny as well. Thankfully I have always had a very good rapport with the parents of my charges. I would even dare to call many of them my friends. That being said, it is not surprising that I mentioned the idea of starting this blog to the mother of the family I currently work for. She laughed. (I have made this statement before, "I really need to start a blog...") But this time I was serious. She seemed agreeable to the idea joking:

"You can start a blog, but only if I'm not really mean in it."

Not only did she say this once, but I kid you not, at LEAST 3 times. I think she's really worried I have lots of dirty laundry to share. ;-) I just might, but I really want this blog to be about me and the kids, as well as all the funny things they we do. I certainly might mention amusing parental faux pas, like the time a certain father took a certain 7 year old to Hooters for lunch, but I promise to put a positive spin on it. (We'll discuss THAT one in a future post.) Besides! I'm trying to be as respectful as I can with people's identities here, so even if you did let your kids play with the electric screw driver and all the dangerous "non-toys" in your tool box, no one but you really needs to know about that choice. ;-)

So, permission asked, and seemingly permission granted. As of this moment, I have no reason to portray the mother of "3 boys and a girl" in anything but a glowing light. I do reserve the right to change my opinion (every good writer must), but I doubt it's going to change any time soon.

1 comment: