Monday, March 28, 2011

On Interviews, Question 2

Most of my nanny positions began with friends. People I knew in real life BEFORE I became their nanny. In these situations the interview appointment is often moot, but for the occasions that I have actually interviewed for a position, there are questions that seem to be the norm. I thought you might be interested in reading my answers and possibly what I think about the questions.

What do you like most about being a Nanny?

There are many things I love about my job. Every day I get to play with toys, imagine, pretend, be silly, and in general avoid acting like an adult. And who can deny that I'm a love junky? The hugs, kisses, snuggles, and general affection often make my world a better place. However, when I look intently at the episodes that bring me the most joy, I am always brought back to points where I have helped my charges to learn something. It could be a life skill--dressing themselves, setting the table, brushing their hair--or something educational like counting, number/letter recognition, or how things work. Whatever the skill, I find the biggest sense of accomplishment when I see that light of knowledge in their eyes. I love the smiles, the sense of pride they acquire, and above all the realization that I am helping to prepare them for a happy and productive life.

I think this question can be very telling and informative for parents searching for a nanny. Obviously no one wants to hire someone who thinks the best part of watching children is when they are asleep. (Though I must admit that nap time IS a very important time of day for nannies who spend hours pretending they have as much energy as little people less than 1/3 their age.) ;-)

This has always been the first thing that came to mind when I was asked what is my favorite part of being a nanny. There is no doubt in my mind that the daily instruction I give is an incredibly important part of moulding these little minds. I take this job very seriously and I find it terribly rewarding.

Stay tuned for the next installment of "Questions to Ask A Prospective Nanny!" I will be addressing the opposite of this topic, what I like LEAST about being a nanny. That will surely prove interesting.

1 comment:

  1. You are a great teacher! In fact if you weren't a nanny I think you could be a school teacher. We miss you, <3 Miles and Nicole

    ReplyDelete