Wednesday, March 16, 2011

On Books: "Pinkalicious"



Pink just happens to be nanny.nora's favorite color, so when a friend introduced me to this book where the main character shares my rosey obsession, I was thrilled.

The basis is simple. Girl eats excessive amounts of pink cupcakes and wakes up in the morning to find she has turned a lovely shade of pink. At first she is delighted, but after an additional cupcake turns her red, she decides to take the Doctor's advice to get back to her normal color.

Sadly, this is where the book loses my allegiance. The prescription for de-coloring this little girl is to eat lots of green veggies. This in it self would not be a problem, except that the author puts a negative spin on eating vegetables, using words like "yuck" and "ick" to describe the experience.

Over all this book is entertaining and inventive even with the less desirable view of all edible greens. (My second favorite color, by the way.)

I believe with the right attitude and an open dialogue about the themes in this book, "Pinkalicious" can entertain ever the most anti-pink person.

There's even a surprise at the end! I won't spoil it her. You'll just have to read to find out. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment